SASI06 Greening the Economy - Achieving the Global Goals
SASI06 Greening the Economy - Achieving the Global Goals. A course for exchange students at Lund University
Greening the Economy – Achieving the Global Goals is an interdisciplinary course that addresses sustainability, climate change and how to combine economic development with a healthy environment. The aim of the course is to allow students to explore greening the economy and the sustainable development goals on four levels – individual, business, city, and nation, and look at the relationships between these levels. Practical examples of the complexities and solutions across each level are discussed. A particular focus is placed on examples from Scandinavia, but the course also features examples from Europe and around the world, which taken together provides a practical starting point for learning about greening the economy and the relationship to the sustainable development goals.
The course is comprised of five modules,
- Introduction to greening the economy and the sustainable development goals
- Individual choices
- Business strategies
- Sustainable cities
- National policies
The course involves lectures, seminars and assignments. Seminars are compulsory, and active participation required to pass the course. Students are awarded one of the following grades: U,3,4,5 - (Fail, Three, Four, Five)
On completion of the course the students shall be able to:
- describe the basic challenges involved in the implementation of greening the economy and gain an overview of the sustainable development goals.
- describe and contrast basic concepts, strategies and technologies that can enable greening the economy and achieving the sustainable development goals.
- analyze, evaluate and make critical judgements on various strategies and approaches towards greening the economy and the relationship to the sustainable development goals.
- demonstrate the ability to plan and execute course assignments within given time limits, using relevant methods for completing the assignment.
- demonstrate the ability to present, in written or oral form, a coherent and sustained argument related to a given question or problem of relevance to the course content.
- reflect upon how individual choices, business strategies, sustainable cities and national policies can promote or hinder greening the economy and the relationship to the sustainable development goals.
All IIIEE course syllabi valid for the academic year 2022/2023 are available via this link (opens in a new window) . Note that you must change to English language in the upper right menu.